- 1. Chiropractors are not real doctors
- Chiropractors are indeed real doctors licensed by the College of Chiropractors of British Columbia. D.C.stands for Doctor of Chiropractic.
- 2. It only helps adults, not children
- Quite the opposite, in fact, chiropractic results are achieved much quicker on children than adults. Similar scenarios with quick results occur when children wear dental braces as opposed to adults.
- 3. Chiropractors treat back pain only
- Some doctors do, but that is like changing your motor oil only when your engine is smoking. Our Doctors of Chiropractic correct subluxations of the spine in order to increase overall health and wellness.
- 4. Too expensive
- Medical treatment is usually 50-70X more expensive than chiropractic treatment and over 80% of the cost is for diagnosis. Chiropractic has been proven through research to be 3X more cost-effective.
- 5. Spinal adjustments hurt
- The spinal adjustments we do in the office are extremely gentle, and do not hurt. Occasionally; however, you may be mildly sore after the first adjustment; similar to starting an exercise program.
- 6. An adjustment may cause a stroke, or is dangerous
- The chance of having a stroke from a chiropractic adjustment is estimated to be over 1 in 1,000,000. As these risks are so low, there is a lot of controversy over whether Stroke can even be considered a significant risk. You have a better chance of being struck by lightning multiple times. It has been established by Governments that chiropractic is the SAFEST and most effective treatment for back pain. Medical treatment results in more than 180,000 deaths each year.[2,3]
- 7. Once you see a Chiropractor, you have to go for life
- Patients are encouraged to decide how much Chiropractic care they want. Once people understand the numerous beneficial effects of Chiropractic care on health and wellness, many CHOOSE lifelong Chiropractic wellness care. This is always a personal decision. Maintaining optimal spinal health is equivalent to people choosing to see a Dentist for lifelong dental care. It just makes sense!
- 8. It is just a health trend
- If chiropractic is a health trend, it is the country's longest trend since it has been around over 118 years.
- 9. No scientific proof that it works
- Over the long history of Chiropractic, there have been thousands of studies proving its validity in the health care arena.
- 10. It can't help me with my health problems
- The nervous system controls every cell, tissue and organ in the human body. The key to optimum health is a proper functioning nervous system and a healthy lifestyle. Your body is able to heal, but to do so, it requires no interference with the nervous system.
1. Jaskoviac P: "Complications arising from manipulation of the cervical spine." JMPT 1980;3:213.
2. Vick D, McKay C, Zengerle C: "The safety of manipulative treatment: review of the literature from 1925 to 1993." JAOA 1996;96:113.
3. Leape L: "Errors in medicine." JAMA 1994;272(23):1851.